In the World Championship the prices were taken through the Finns and the foreigners
The World Championship of picking berries in Suomussalmi had this year 105 pickers, from which 15 came from abroad: Germany, Russia and Ukrainian. This time the most participants, altogether 42, were in the ensemble of picking berries by hand. Until now the most favorite picker ensemble got 27 participants, both in the ensemble of the children as well as in the ensemble of the personal hayrake pickers there were 12 participants.
The lingonberries, which were picked, were wholly ripe, because the lingonberries turned to ripe this summer two weeks ahead of the earlier years. This time the harvest of the lingonberries was not the best in Suomussalmi. The whole catch of the pickers in berries was 312 Kilos (record over 1 300 kilos). The best places to pick were already taken. Mostly this year you can find lingonberries from the bushes and from the areas where the trees grow. The open areas where the trees had been cut were not suitable for the lingonberries, therefore they were too dry.
In the ensemble of the children the participants worked really hard with good results. The Lingonberry Guzzlers won the race with a huge result of 10, 32 Kilos. The second place was reached by The Lingonberries Clatter with the result of 7, 96 Kilos. The third place was taken by The Little Red Riding Hoods with the result of 5, 86 Kilos.
The first price of the ensemble with the picker was taken by The Team Juntunen with the result of 16 Kilos. The champion, The Ämmän Betoni, which has won for many times, became second (this time) with the result of 14, 36 Kilos. The third was The Suomussalmi Community Councils Second Team with the result of 12, 3 Kilos.
The ensemble of the pickers by hand was won by The Huoviset & Ekdahl with the result of 10, 36 Kilos of joy. The second was The Vitis Team with the result of 10, 18 Kilos of joy. The third price was reached by The Näätäläs Ingenious Ones picked altogether 9, 28 Kilos.
The women ensemble with the hayrake pickers was won by Yulia Voronina from Russia with the result of 10, 4 Kilos. The winner of the past, Eeva Romppainen, became the second price (this time) with the result of 8, 14 Kilos. The third one was Arja Juntunen with the result of 7, 12 Kilos.
The men ensemble with the hayrake pickers was won by Alex Kirsanov from Ukrainian with the result of 10, 62 Kilos. The second price was won by Lasse Tasala, who used to be first one for many times, with the price of 9, 28 Kilos. The third place was reached by Vladimir Kuzin from Russia with the result of 5, 78 Kilos.
The racing weekend was started at the market place in Suomussalmi, where the distribution of prices took place at the end of the day. The program at the market place was successful and it was visited by a crowd of thousands of people while the weather was sunny and lovely.
For more information
Simo Moisio, Arktiset Aromit ry, (00 358)(0) 40 - 580 11 86, (00 358)(0)8-615 55 59 0
The World Championships of Berry Picking 2014 will be held in the village of Suomussalmi in Finland on September 6 th.
The event will gather a large amount of contestants and audience to enjoy the nature and it's richness, especially lingonberries.
The all-time individual class record for lingonberry picking is 27,98 kilos per hour - maybe the record will be broken this time!
The day will start at the Suomussalmi market square at 9.00 am. Contestants will register between 9.00 to 11.00 am at the info point where they receive buckets and number patches. Teams are transferred to the competition forest by buses at 11.30 o´clock. The duration of the competition is one hour, after which the berries are weighed.
The winner in each class is, of course, the one who has picked the most lingonberries. The best three pickers in each class will be awarded with the sum of money.
There are team classes for both adults and
Teams of three persons may only use a common one hand held picking tool
without a stem.
Participation in the competition is free of charge.
In addition to the competition, there will be The Lingonberry Fair at the Suomussalmi market square during the same day.
Arctic Flavours Association
COMPETITION RULES IN THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS OF BERRY PICKING
1. The name of the event: The world championships of berry picking
2. The responsible organizer: Arctic Flavours Association
3. Registration: Arctic Flavours Association office, by 29 August, 2014. Contact information above. Enquiries in English, please.
4. Entrance fee: Participation in the competition is free of charge.
6. Teams: Team are formed by three persons, who may be e.g. families, fellow workers, friends, classmates, members of a sports club or other.
7. Berry to be picked: Lingonberry
8. Allowed contest equipment: In the team classes, contestants may only use a common one hand held picking tool without a stem to be brought themselves. In the hand picking class, the use of picking tools is not allowed. Contestants may only use the buckets provided by the organizer and handed out in the market place. Extra buckets can be found in the competition area if needed. The contestants may keep the buckets they have used. In the individual class, you may use your own picking rake and buckets of your choice.
9. The criteria for evaluation: Teams / contestants will be evaluated by the amount (kg) of picked lingonberries. Your performance is acceptable when lingonberries are picked within the competition time (1 hour) from the competition area by using the tools allowed in each class.
10. Prizes: The best three teams in each class with most berries will be awarded prize money.
11. Competition's duration and place: The duration of the competition is one hour. The contestants are transferred to the competition area by buses at 11.30 0´clock from the Suomussalmi market square. The competition area is located somewhere in the Suomussalmi municipality area. The competition area will be separated from the surrounding area with ribbons and adhesive tapes.
12. Lingonberries don't need to be cleansed, small leaves and such are acceptable. The berries will be weighed uncleansed. It is forbidden to put small stones, cones, leaves or any similar material among the berries, as this could increase the weight an misrepresent the result.
The best three of each class will be awarded prize money.
Team class for adults:
Hand picking team class for adults:
Children's team class:
Individual class for men where rake is
used as a picking tool:
Individual class for women where rake is used as
a picking tool:
Meet us at the Suomussalmi market square,